Due to the way mobile carriers identify and block spam messages, we recommend that customers who wish to send messages to more than a few hundred people per day switch to a dedicated toll-free number. We've done our best to make the process easy, seamless, and free!
Like email providers, mobile carriers use automated filtering systems to identify and block unsolicited spam messages. Since carriers expect 10-digit local numbers to be used by individual people, they sometimes mistake our customers' messages for spam and block them. This is especially likely to happen when customers send a single message to a large number of recipients, or if they communicate with more than several hundred people per day.
Since toll-free numbers are cleared by carriers for high-volume messaging, you can send messages to groups of any size after switching to a toll-free number. Even with a toll-free number carriers do reserve the right to block your messages if they believe them to be spam, however, the likelihood of blocking is drastically reduced.
Switching To Toll-Free
We did our best to make the process easy and seamless. We'll also keep your existing local number active (for free) so people can continue to text-in to it as normal. Just follow these steps:
- Visit the Account & Billing / Phone Numbers page.
- Click the Settings (gear) icon next to your phone number and choose Switch to Toll-Free.
- Select an available toll-free number and click Confirm.
Two important notes:
- After switching, all outgoing messages will be sent from your toll-free number. If someone texts-in to your old number, the message will be received and processed as normal, however all replies will be sent from your toll-free number.
- To reduce the chances that someone would be confused by receiving your messages from a new number, the first time someone receives a message from your toll-free number, MojoTxt will automatically include the name of your organization along with opt-out instructions. The message will read: "Your Organization: " (as listed on your Company Profile), followed by your original message content, followed by "(Reply STOP to opt out.)".
Questions & Answers
Can I send MMS (picture) messages from a toll-free number?
Unfortunately, no. Carriers do not presently allow toll-free numbers to send MMS messages. We're told that this may change in the near future. For the time being, you can still attach one or more images to your message as a link with our Instant Webpage feature.
What happens if someone texts-in to my old local number?
Their message will be received and processed as normal, but MojoTxt will reply from your new toll-free number. We'll include the name of your organization at the beginning of the reply message to help avoid confusion.
Will my subscribers be confused if I start sending messages from a new number?
To reduce the chances that someone would be confused by receiving your messages from a new number, the first time someone receives a message from your toll-free number, MojoTxt will automatically include the name of your organization along with opt-out instructions. The message will read: "Your Organization: " (as listed on your Company Profile), followed by your original message content, followed by "(Reply STOP to opt out.)".
Will call forwarding still work?
If you've enabled call forwarding on your MojoTxt number, it will continue to work. You will be able to receive calls on both your local and toll-free number.
Are there any additional fees to use a toll-free number?
No, we're not charging anything extra to use a toll-free number. The monthly, per-message, and per-minute rates are identical to local numbers.
Do I need to pay for both my local number and my new toll-free number?
Nope! You can keep both phone numbers active, but we'll only bill you for the primary number.