Subscriber Opt-In Required
Before you get started, be sure that you have received express authorization from each person on your list to send them text messages. We (and the United States government) require that everyone you send messages to has expressly opted-in to receive them. If you're not sure if you have received adequate authorization, we recommend checking the FCC guidelines.
Importing a List of Subscribers
Preparing Your Spreadsheet
- Put your list of phone numbers in a spreadsheet (in CSV format). Each line must contain a phone number and can optionally include the subscriber's first & last names, email address, and postal address (with street address, city, state, and zipcode separated into their own columns).
- Once you've completed your list, save it to CSV (Comma-Separated) format. If you're using Excel to create your list, choose Save As and choose Comma Separated Values (CSV) as the file type when saving.
Uploading Your List
- You can choose to import your CSV to a specific Subscription List or to your account overall from the People page.
- To import people to a subscription list, start by going to the Subscription List you wish to add these people to. Then choose the Subscribers tab.
- To import people to your account overall, go to the People page.
- Click Add Subscribers and choose Import From a List. (The "Import Subscribers From a List" box will open.)
- In the CSV File box, select the file you saved in step 2. Then check the boxes next to both statements to indicate that you have received proper authorization to send messages to the people on your list. When you're finished, click Next.
Completing The Import Process
Follow the on-screen steps to complete your import process.
- First, you will see a preview of the first five rows of your data, and you'll have the opportunity to select whether the first row of your spreadsheet contains column names or subscriber data.
- If the highlighted row contains the names of the fields (i.e. "Phone Number", "Name", etc.), choose "Column Names".
- If the highlighted row contains the first person's information, choose "Subscriber Data".
- If the data preview does not match what you expect to see, or if all your data comes in on one line, try these steps:
- Open your CSV file in Excel.
- Ensure that the data looks as expected, with one subscriber listed per line, and all data lining-up to the appropriate columns.
- From the File menu, choose Save As. Choose Comma Separated Values (CSV) as the File Type, and save the file to a new name.
- Cancel the current import process in MojoTxt and start over with your newly-saved file.
- Next, you will match the columns in your spreadsheet with the subscriber data fields in MojoTxt.
- At minimum, you must match the Mobile Number field.
- You can optionally match the subscriber's name in a variety of formats, as well as their email and mailing addresses.
- Any unmatched fields will be ignored.
- After matching the columns, you will have the opportunity to preview your import before completing it.
- You will see a preview of your first five rows of data.
- Ensure that the results match what you expect before you continue.
- Next, choose whether or not to send a welcome message to first-time subscribers and begin the import process.
- Sending a welcome message makes it easy for people to understand that the message is from your organization and will reduce the likelihood of your recipients accidentally reporting your messages as spam.
- If you choose not to send a welcome message, you should ensure that the first message you send includes the name of your organization as well as opt-out instructions.
- Click the Begin Import button to start importing your data.
- You will return to the Subscriber list while the import process completes.
- Depending on the size of your list, it can take anywhere between a few seconds and a few minutes to complete the import.
- You can refresh the page to see the updated status.
- When the process is complete, you will have the opportunity to view an import report.
If you run into any issues, please contact us and we'll be glad to import the list for you manually. Be sure to include the name of the subscription list you are attempting to import into as well as your CSV list file.